Smartphone ownership within the United Stated has increased as time passes 1 including among homosexual, bisexual, as well as other males that have intercourse with males (MSM)2. Smartphone geosocial-networking applications (“apps”) are generally utilized among MSM to fulfill partners that are sexual. Increased usage of smart phones together with the typical usage of apps to get intimate lovers led CDUHR detective Dr. Dustin Duncan along with his collaborators to review the relationships between app usage and intimate wellness among MSM.
Characterizing App Utilize
Among an example of young MSM that are black in Gulfport, Mississippi; Jackson, Mississippi; and brand brand New Orleans, Louisiana, 76% utilized apps. People who utilized apps reported their most often utilized apps as Jack’d (69.8%) accompanied by Adam4Adam (41.5%) and Grindr (35.9%). Individuals utilized on average 8.2 apps that are different invested on average 2.1 hours in the apps daily. The average number of “app-met partners” with whom they engaged in insertive intercourse was 1.19; almost one third of the encounters were condomless although a minority (17%) used apps to seek sexual partners. Also, over 25 % of individuals had been unacquainted with the HIV status of these app-met lovers. High amounts of condomless lack and sex of awareness of partners’ HIV status warrant research of sexual risk using among app-using MSM 5.
Contextualizing App Utilize</p>
Intimate risk among software using MSM ended up being examined making use of a test of 174 app-using MSM in nyc. The research addressed 6 contextual facets linked to app usage and investigated the partnership between these facets and condomless sexual intercourse. A majority (63.2%) utilized apps when experiencing unfortunate, whenever utilizing liquor (51.1%) as soon as making use of any medications (25.9%). Individuals had been prone to participate in both insertive and receptive condomless sex whenever apps had been getting used when working with any medications or when utilizing apps for transactional sexual encounters 6.
Fighting HIV through App Utilize
Apps have indicated their prospective usefulness among scientists and healthcare providers trying to reduce steadily the chance of HIV among MSM. Among an example of 169 app-using MSM in London, 63.9% reported willingness to use apps for HIV avoidance, and specifically apps to serve as reminders for HIV screening. Willingness to utilize apps for HIV prevention ended up being higher the type of reporting current binge ingesting and current club medication use 7.
Current geosocial-networking applications have been completely utilized mexican dating sites to provide HIV-related interventions 8 and also have the prospective to be utilized for other MSM health problems substance usage, intimate partner physical violence, and intimate risk taking. App-based health that is sexual focusing on MSM should always be developed, offered MSM’s willingness to utilize apps for HIV prevention.
- Pew Analysis Center. Social networking Utilize Continues To Increase in Developing Nations, but Plateaus Around Developed Ones. 2018 june. http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/06/15135408/Pew-Research-Center_Global-Tech-Social-Media-Use_2018.06.19.pdf. Accessed 24 Sept 2018.
- Grov C, Ventuneac The, Rendina HJ, Jimenez RH, Parsons JT. Perceived need for five various health conditions for homosexual and bisexual males: Implications for brand new instructions in wellness training and avoidance. United states Journal of Men’s Wellness. 2013;7(4):274-284.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Geosocial-networking app usage habits of homosexual, bisexual, along with other males who possess intercourse with guys: Survey among users of grindr, a dating app that is mobile. JMIR Public Wellness andSurveillance. 2015; 1(1):e4.
- Queiroz, Artur Acelino Francisco Luz Nunes, de Sousa, Бlvaro Francisco Lopes, de Araъjo, Telma Maria Evangelista, de Oliveira, Francisco Braz Milanez, Moura MEB, Reis RK. overview of risk behaviors for HIV disease by males who possess intercourse with guys through geosocial phone that is networking. Journal associated with Association of Nurses in AIDS Care.2017;28(5):807-818.
- Duncan DT, Park SH, Hambrick HR, et al. Characterizing geosocialnetworking software use among young black colored males that have intercourse with males: A multi-city survey that is cross-sectional the southern united states of america. JMIR uHealth and mHealth. 2018;6(6):e10316.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Contextual facets in geosocial-networking smartphone application usage and engagement in condomless anal sex among homosexual, bisexual, as well as other males who possess intercourse with men whom utilize grindr. Intimate Wellness. 2016;13(6):549-554.
- Goedel WC, Mitchell JW, Krebs P, Duncan DT. Willingness to utilize cell phone apps for HIV prevention among men who possess intercourse with males in London: Web-based survey. JMIR uHealth and mHealth. 2017; 5(10):e15.
- Cao B, Gupta S, Wang J, Hightow-Weidman LB, Muessig KE, Tang W, Pan S, Pendse R, Tucker JD. Social media marketing Interventions to advertise HIV Testing, Linkage, Adherence, and Retention: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Med Web Res. 2017;19(11):e394.
For more info, contact Dustin Duncan at firstname.lastname@example.org
This work ended up being supported by NIDA (P30DA011041, PIs: Deren & Hagan); My Brother’s Keeper, Inc; Wilfred L and Ruth SF Peltz Research Scholarship, granted through this new York University College of Arts and Science Dean’s Undergraduate Research Fund (PI: William C Goedel); and ny University class of Medicine Start-Up analysis Fund.
The guts for Drug utilize and HIV analysis (CDUHR) is an interdisciplinary research center that concentrates on general general general public medical issues associated with HIV, hepatitis C, and medication usage.
Center for Drug utilize and HIV analysis NYU university of worldwide Public wellness 665 Broadway, 11th Floor nyc , NY 10012
Mobile: 212.992.6741 Fax: 212.995.4877 E-MAIL